Senior Software Engineer, Detection Machine Learning Infrastructure
Discord’s goal is to build a trustworthy platform for communities to flourish and for our users to find belonging.
The Detection Infrastructure team has the mission of building and operating the systems required to detect abusive content and harmful behaviors at scale. We ensure these systems, and pipelines are incredibly reliable and robust.
You will focus on the machine learning aspects of the detection infrastructure. We're looking for a technical and mission-driven Senior Software Engineer to build real-time, low-latency machine learning services. You will report to the Engineering Manager of the ML Platform team.
What you'll do
- Design and build scalable machine learning services designed to reduce harmful behaviors and content on Discord
- Collaborate with machine learning engineers to ensure scalability of ML systems
- Ensure that ML systems are operationalized and their health is measurable
Who are you
- 4+ years of experience building, deploying, and operating large-scale distributed systems: it makes you uncomfortable deploying something for end-users without considering important performance metrics, monitors and dashboards, graceful degradation, feature flags.
- 3+ years of experience working on infrastructure in the JVM ecosystem
- Experience debugging and maintaining live production systems on Kubernetes
- You've built data processing systems with modern stacks, e.g. Flink, Beam, Spark, Airflow
- You thrive in ambiguous environments and get excited about figuring out solutions to complex problems, and then executing on them
- Experience building and deploying Machine Learning systems built on PyTorch, Tensorflow, TFX
- Experience building privacy-minded machine learning architectures (federated learning, differential privacy)
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $190,000 to $204,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
#buildbelonging #LI-Remote #LI-Hybrid #LI-WK1
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Something looks off?