Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning Platform
The Machine Learning Platform team is the foundation that Machine Learning and Data Science at Discord rely on to help our users find belonging in a safe and welcoming space. Our aim is to create the best experience throughout the machine learning workflow, from training to serving. We supplement our platform with core and widely applicable datasets, models and services.
You will build the Machine Learning platform at Discord, working with everything from feature stores, real-time data processing, to model serving at scale. We are looking for somebody with experience building platforms for other engineers. You should have experience with the Machine Learning workflow and a curiosity in how Machine Learning can help make a better, safer Discord. You will report to the Engineering Manager of the ML Platform team.
What you'll do
- Design and build the platform engineers and data scientists throughout Discord uses for the full machine learning workflow.
- Evaluate and integrate new machine learning frameworks and tools to ensure that Discord keeps up with fast moving world of ML including LLMs and generative AI tooling
- Collaborate with model builders and gain a strong understanding of how to take a project from idea to production
- Help set and drive best practices in machine learning at Discord
- Create foundational datasets and models
Who are you
- 5+ years of experience working as a software engineer in data or backend with exposure to large datasets or highly distributed systems
- 2+ years working on platforms or infrastructure
- 2+ years experience with the machine learning workflow
- You've had experience with orchestration systems (such as Airflow, Dagster, or Argo)
- Experience with real-time data processing (Spark, Flink, Dataflow, Kafka, Pulsar, etc.)
- Experience debugging and maintaining live production systems on Kubernetes
- Experience building ML models in TensorFlow or PyTorch
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $190,000 to $204,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
#buildbelonging #LI-Remote #LI-Hybrid #LI-WK1
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!