Data Engineering Manager
Discord is looking for an experienced manager to join our Data Engineering function! Data Engineers at Discord collaborate with data science and engineering teams to design, build, and scale high-leverage datasets that enable analytics, modeling, and experimentation. As a Data Engineering Manager, you will establish and drive a vision for data architecture and data quality across multiple company verticals. If this sounds exciting to you and you're passionate about data, impact, and leading an amazing team, read on!
What you'll be doing
- Develop and execute a roadmap to build and optimize foundational datasets to ensure delivery of high-quality ergonomic data across multiple company verticals
- Develop and execute a roadmap to establish data quality as a given, at scale
- Partner with data platform teams to identify opportunities to improve infrastructure and influence their roadmaps accordingly
- Inform architectural decisions, establish best practices, develop lean scalable processes, and contribute to the overall direction of the data organization at Discord
- Grow a world-class team, expanding the impact and reach of data at Discord
- Establish a collaborative culture that thrives on innovation and impact
What you should have
- 4+ years experience in data engineering, analytics engineering, or data architecture
- 2+ years experience as a data engineering manager and have successfully managed multiple individual contributors
- Experience hiring and growing data engineers
- 4+ years of experience in developing robust data models based off of structured and unstructured sources at massive scale
- 4+ years of experience writing accurate and effective code in SQL and Python
- An ability to explain complex concepts in easy-to-understand ways and navigate environments where problems are not well-defined (and evolve quickly)
- Experience leveraging your excellent communication skills to thrive in areas where problems are not well-defined and evolve quickly
- Experience proactively identifying opportunities to improve ETL and dashboard performance and cost
- A desire to work with amazing, passionate people who care deeply about solving challenging problems to improve Discord
- Last but not least - a collaborative attitude and natural curiosity
- Passion for Discord or online communities
- Experience owning and proactively improving data models, implementing best practices, and influencing large-scale change
- Experience collaborating directly with data science, infrastructure, and product engineering teams
- Experience with modern data storage and processing technologies (i.e. BigQuery SQL, Looker, Airflow, and DBT or similar)
- Experience designing data architecture to power a variety of uses cases, including machine learning and experimentation
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $214,000 to $233,000+ equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Something looks off?