Engineering Manager - Games
Gamers of all kinds have been at the heart of Discord since we got started. Our small, nimble, Games team is focused on building the next version of Discord for the needs of gamers to play together and be together. We have several exciting projects in the works, and need a leader to guide this team.
We are trying to achieve a lot, but we are in a marathon, not a sprint, so good work/life balance is just as important as working with smart, experienced people (like you!?).
To learn more about Discord Engineering, take a look at our engineering blog!
What you'll do
- Build exceptional teams of highly-engaged engineers by hiring, coaching, and instilling a sense of ownership and impact, directly and through your managers
- Work with Product, Design, Business Development, and Marketing to define your team’s vision and roadmap by thoroughly understanding partner and user needs
- Leverage your technical expertise to constantly raise the bar and ensure your team delivers extraordinary results at the high technical level we set
- Make sound first-principle decisions around resourcing, and making the rationale clear to partners and team members
- Partner with your director on strategic planning and to continuously improve the Engineering organization and uphold our workplace philosophy.
Who you are
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- You have 2+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager.
- You are a first principles thinker that can work with others to come up with pragmatic solutions.
- You play games or have played enough in the past to have a good intuition about gaming.
- You have a strong product sense and take pridein understanding your customers.
- You are motivated to help your team members succeed and have experience developing and growing engineers.
- Code doesn't scare you - you are still an engineer even if you don't do it all the time.
- You've done complex integrations with large companies in the past.
- You have experience in the gaming space.
- You are a Discord user, and understand the core features and flow of Discord communications.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is ($214,000) to (233,000) + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 14+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!