Senior Software Engineer, Safety Orchestration
Safety Orchestration’s mission is to harmonize the various Safety systems into one unified platform. This role requires a deep understanding of Safety needs, software engineering principles, and the ability to work cross-functionally across the stack.
As a Safety Orchestration Senior Software Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, implementing, and testing software that unifies the engines Discord uses to limit bad actors across the platform while minimizing impact to legitimate users. You will work closely with other engineers, safety experts, and product managers to ensure that the system meets requirements and standard.
What you’ll be doing
- Writing high-throughput infrastructure and software to record decisions or classifications made by various Safety models.
- Developing systems to consistently, robustly, and transparently apply Discord policies
- Coding reliable and parallel systems in Rust.
- Architecting our system for a long-term future while making incremental progress towards these goals.
What you should have
- 4+ years building scaled backend or real-time systems, ideally with familiarity using streaming or queueing infrastructure such as Kafka, Pulsar, or PubSub.
- Experience working on, and deploying, large-scale systems in Rust, Python, or other similar language
- Comfortability in working on all parts of the stack - while most of the work will be in the backend, there are times that some frontend efforts are needed.
- A prior history of designing solutions within large, overlapping, and complex systems.
- An understanding of the Safety domain and the types of tradeoffs we have to make.
- Experience with deploying services directly onto Kubernetes.
- Experience with terraform or other software-defined-infrastructure tool.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $190,000 to $204,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Something looks off?