Senior Software Engineer - API Developer Experience
Discord is looking for an empathetic, hands-on, and mission-focused engineer who is passionate about building tools for product engineers. The API Developer Experience team manages the evolution of the API that developers interact with daily. Using your expertise and passion for delivering high quality products, you’ll equip a world-class engineering organization with tools to move quickly and refine product features that bring millions of people together.
What you'll be doing
- Design, build, and ship delightful tools that have an outsized impact on Discord developers workflow and productivity.
- Work with a team dedicated to building faster, reliable automations in CI pipelines, test frameworks, language tools and IDE integrations.
- Leverage expertise and knowledge of the rapidly changing landscape of tooling and identify opportunities to apply them.
- Partner with internal engineering teams to research pain points, identify bottlenecks and recognize patterns to provide tooling solutions from a product perspective.
What you should have
- 5+ years of experience in software development with a focus on tooling, infrastructure, and API development.
- Expertise in different development tools (CLI tools, build/deployment frameworks, IDEs, testing frameworks, etc.).
- Ability to scope and prioritize tasks on ambiguous and complex technical projects.
- Capability of considering specific technical tradeoffs to maximize impact for effort.
- Curiosity and growth mindset to learn new technologies to solve interesting problems.
- You have familiarity with technologies we use including the Python ecosystem, Kubernetes, Docker, Google Cloud Platform, and Buildkite.
- You have built open source software integrated by other developers.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $190,000 to $204,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Something looks off?