Staff Software Engineer - Developer Environments
Discord is looking for a highly technical, empathetic, hands-on, and mission-focused Staff Software Engineer to scale technology, innovation, and accelerate Engineer’s velocity while providing a better overall experience for Developers. Leveraging your expertise and passion for delivering high quality products, you’ll equip an all-star engineering organization with tools and technology to move quickly and iterate on features that bring millions of people together.
As an engineer on the Developer Environments team you will remove friction and focus on delivering compounding leverage across the entire software development lifecycle. In this role, you will help Discord achieve a significant and measurable transformation in engineering's velocity and effectiveness.
What you'll be doing
- Collaborating with leadership, PMs, and other engineers across the company to build and iterate on a technical roadmap for Discord’s development ecosystem.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other staff-engineers and stakeholders across the organization to ensure technical alignment around yours and other’s vision.
- Pushing the limits and evolving the software development lifecycle alongside a constantly evolving Discord.
- Coach and mentor the next generation of technical leaders at Discord.
- Providing fast and stable builds across our entire tech stack using tools like Bazel, Docker, Nix, and K8s.
- Building the core libraries and CLI frameworks that provide a unified tooling ecosystem.
- Improving our existing build, test, and deploy tools or building them from the ground up.
What you should have
- 7+ years of experience in software development with a focus on tooling, infrastructure, and automation.
- Successfully led a reasonable sized project with a group of 4+ engineers.
- You have strong communication skills and the ability to create alignment with leaders in product, data science, and engineering.
- Deep understanding and experience with CI, build, and deployment technologies like Github Actions, Buildkite, Docker, Kubernetes, Bazel, Packer, and Terraform.
- Deep knowledge of operating systems and the software ecosystems that surround them.
- Broad experience across many domains and technologies and a fearless attitude when diving into something new.
- A passion for building tools that help others succeed.
- An ability to zoom out and think strategically while knowing when to zoom in on critical details.
- You have built open source software integrated by other developers.
- You obsess over and nerd out over your own development workflow (keyboards, dotfiles, editors, window managers, etc.)
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $214,000 to $233,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 14+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!