Sr. Employment Counsel
Discord is looking for an exceptional Senior Employment Counsel to join our growing legal team. This is a high-impact role at one of the most interesting companies on the planet! As Senior Employment Counsel, you will help shape our strategy for growing and retaining our employee base, and help our company expand across the world. You'll get to work with some super inspiring people, including our People, Finance, IDP (Inclusion, Diversity, and Purpose), and Corporate Development teams. Reporting to our Senior Director of Corporate & Commercial Law, you'll be our resident expert in all things labor and employment, and you will have a significant impact on how the Legal team and us grow. If this sounds like a fun challenge, please read on ...
What You’ll Do:
- Provide counseling and support to the People team regarding hiring, offers, compensation, incentive programs, benefits, performance management, leave, and accommodations
- Advise and assist the People team with investigations, terminations, and other employment-related matters
- Collaborate with IDP and Legal partners on diversity programs in our hiring process and within the company
- Develop and implement employment-related forms, policies, and training that allow for scale and optionality, both in the US and internationally
- Assess and manage legal and compliance risks and provide practical, strategic solutions for resolving employment disputes or pre-litigation or litigation matters
- Support our corporate activities, including due diligence and integration work for acquisitions, and launching operations in new countries
What You Should Have:
- JD from an accredited law school
- Admission to the California Bar or eligible to register as in-house counsel with the California Bar
- 7+ years combined experience in labor and employment law at a well-respected law firm, government agency, or in-house legal department
- Experience providing flexible, tailored advice to clients regarding 50-state and federal employment law and employment-related disputes
- Curiosity and ability to jump into less familiar areas and learn while doing
- Work collaboratively and strategically
- The ability to manage several simultaneous projects under deadline pressure
- Commitment to diversity, inclusion, and belonging
- In-house legal department experience with a consumer-oriented tech company
- Experience with the legal aspects of launching and managing international operations for a U.S.-based company
- Interest in expanding into non-employment practice areas, such as designing and building ethics and compliance programs, working on corporate transactions, and driving Legal team initiatives
- Appreciation for absurd and improbable hypotheticals
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $235,000 to $255,500 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Something looks off?