Senior Software Engineer, Design Systems
The Design Systems team develops the core primitives and standards that engineers and designers use to build Discord’s products. Designers and engineers on this team collaborate closely to accelerate product feature teams’ ability to ship new features with UI that are accessible, consistent, and high quality. This team also sets the standard for accessibility on Discord, and supports other engineering teams in achieving it. As such, the Design Systems team plays a critical role enabling Discord to achieve its core mission: creating a space for everyone to find belonging.
What you'll be doing
- Help build the foundation of our design system (design tokens, components, and other code patterns) and improve it over time.
- Write code that works across our iOS, Android, desktop, and web platforms.
- Create and maintain Figma plugins that synchronize our designs to code (and vice versa).
- Create lightweight developer tooling to aid in migration and communicating best practices (e.g. linting rules, CI jobs, codemods).
- Collaborate closely with other engineers and designers to understand the needs and influence of your work.
- Provide guidance to teams on the best way to use design systems components and tools across their projects.
- Build internal tools to empower all of our engineers and designers to use the design system to the fullest extent.
- Work with Staff+ level engineers to grow your skills and aptitudes.
What you should have
- 4+ years of work experience as a software engineer building, shipping, and iterating on product features or internal tools.
- Expertise with web (React, TypeScript) or mobile (React Native, Swift, Objective-C, Kotlin) client-focused development. We're a cross-platform team and believe that engineers should be empowered to work across a variety of tech stacks. We'll support you in learning the stacks you don't know!
- A deep understanding of accessibility fundamentals and its application in creating robust user interfaces.
- Strong, clear written communication skills and a healthy appreciation for good documentation.
- Experience working on cross-functional teams with designers or product managers.
- Willingness and excitement to learn new technical skills and expand your toolkit.
- A consistent track record of delivering multi-milestone project on time and at a high level.
- Experience safely migrating existing front-end codebases to new technical patterns at scale.
- Experience working on a design system.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $190,000 to $204,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Something looks off?