Senior Software Engineer - Data Platform
Part of the central Core Tech organization, the Data Products team seeks to make the petabytes of data at Discord easily accessible to everyone at the company. We build full-stack applications, tooling, and frameworks to improve the productivity of teams at Discord with strong data needs, in particular our product, analytics, and machine learning teams. Our work is foundational to company and product strategy. To learn more about Discord Engineering, read our engineering blog here — including how we create insights from trillion data points that this particular team is behind!
What you'll do
- Design and Build tooling and frameworks to improve the productivity of Discord's product, analytics, and machine learning teams, using modern technologies such as BigQuery, Kubernetes, Apache Beam, Pub/Sub, and Airflow/Dagster, DBT.
- Care deeply about business outcomes and constraints and keep them in mind as they solve hard, unbounded problems
- Understand the needs of data engineering and data science groups and deliver best-in-class solutions for them.
Who are you
- You have 4+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- Experience with at least one of the following languages: Python, Rust, Java, Scala.
- Experience building and deploying large-scale distributed systems
- Experience with and/or exposure to a variety of datastores (relational, NoSQL, data warehouse solutions).
- Strong working knowledge of relational databases and query authoring (SQL).
- You thrive in ambiguous environments and get excited about figuring out solutions to complex problems, and then executing them.
- You are a first principles thinker that can work with others to come up with pragmatic solutions — and then evolve and generalize them.
- You have the ability to take a high-level goal and deliver shippable code.
- Experience working with very high-scale data infrastructure
- Experience with data products on Google Cloud Platform, Kubernetes, or Airflow
- Full-stack development or product engineering experience
The US base salary range for this full-time position is ($190,000) to (218,000) + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
#buildbelonging #LI-Remote #LI-Hybrid #LI-AR1
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Something looks off?