Head of U.S. Public Policy, Government Relations
As Discord’s Head of U.S. Public Policy / Government Relations, you will be responsible for building trust and finding common ground with policymakers, regulators, and other stakeholders in Washington and state capitals across the country. This role is resident in Washington, DC and reports to the company’s Vice President and Head of Global Public Policy.
What you'll be doing
- Introduce Discord to government policymakers and civil society stakeholders in the U.S., including educating decision-makers on our founding vision, our products, and our investments in privacy and safety;
- Develop and execute a multi-year government advocacy strategy that maps the interests of Discord users and the company’s business goals to the evolving legal and regulatory landscape in Washington and state capitals;
- Identify emerging trends in the regulation of online communications services and build action plans responsive to these trends in coordination with our Legal, Product, and Communications teams;
- Advocate for Discord’s position on key legislative and regulatory initiatives that will impact our users and our business, balancing direct advocacy with effective leverage from coalitions and associations;
- Provide domain context and support for the company’s responses to regulator inquiries;
- Promote employee awareness and invite employee engagement on our public policy strategy and priorities;
- Engage in public policy coalitions with peer companies and civil society organizations;
- Coordinate and drive compelling returns from the company’s partnerships with non-profits and civil society organizations; and
- Manage the company’s U.S.-based government affairs consultants and advisors.
What you should have
- Sustained (7+ years) professional success at the highest levels of government and/or in strategic public policy advocacy
- Deep insight on the policymaking process in the U.S.
- Ability to develop and execute a multi-year strategic advocacy program
- Commitment to Discord’s mission to be the place online where everyone can find belonging
- Ability to recruit, empower, and develop exceptional employees from diverse backgrounds
- Willingness to travel as necessary within the U.S.
- Work experience on technology policy initiatives such as online safety, privacy, cybersecurity, or content moderation
- Ability to translate complex technical information into clear, compelling narratives for non-technical audiences
- Leadership experience with a civil society organization and/or tech company
- Success building trust and consensus across stakeholders with different perspectives and priorities
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $187,000 to $204,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 14+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!