Senior Software Engineer, Apps Developers
The Apps-Developer team empowers external developers to build creative and diverse experiences for our users. Millions of people use apps on Discord every day to manage communities, play games with friends, listen to music, and so much more. We are a small but mighty team that supports everything from the most popular bots, fun multi-player activities, and all the platform tools that developers use to build them.
Apps play a huge part in Discord's mission of creating a new kind of place where it’s easy to genuinely communicate, have fun hanging out, and build relationships. We believe developers are the future of Discord and have exciting plans ahead. Come join us and help build the future of our platform!
What you'll be doing
- Work with the Apps-Developer team within Platform Ecosystem to build & maintain SDKs, APIs, UI/UX and other platform services for Apps
- Improvements to features, tools and workflows that empowers public developers to create and configure the latest apps, bots and activities features
- Collaborate with design, product and other engineers to introduce new features used by our +180M monthly active users
- Support internal & external partners, game studios, as well as a large public developer community building on Discord
- Participate at all levels of ideation, implementation and release
- Have a genuine say in the details, and have fun doing it!
What you should have
- 5+ years of full stack experience. Familiarity with web and application (e.g. React, TypeScript, Python), mobile (React-Native), API, and/or SDK development.
- A holistic approach to problem solving. You believe in solving a problem from first principles rather than simply shipping a solution. You learn from your mistakes and work through obstacles with the rest of the team.
- A focus on impact & growth. Developers building on Discord are a vibrant and productive community, but we have a long way to go! You want to work with engineers, product managers, designers, and the external dev community to define great solutions to ambiguous problems.
- You care about the details. You want to deliver a high-quality experience for developers. You recognize the value in ‘progress over perfection’ and 80/20 thinking. You are able to debate the details, and then commit to decisions. You are able to both collaborate with the team, and still own the outcomes.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $190,000 to $204,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 14+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!