Senior Software Engineer, Apps User Experience
The Apps User Experience team is crafting the core elements of creative and diverse experiences on Discord. Millions of people use apps & bots on Discord every day to manage communities, play games with friends, listen to music, and so much more.
Apps play a huge part in Discord's mission of creating a new kind of place where it’s easy to genuinely communicate, have fun hanging out, and build relationships. Join us and help build the future of our platform!
What you'll be doing
- Build & ship high-quality experiences for our users, working directly with design and product teams.
- Collaborate with engineers, product, design, and other team members on what the future looks like for bots on Discord
- Act as a problem-solver, not just a developer. Participate at all levels of ideation, implementation and release.
- Approach our app ecosystem holistically, thinking about developers as well as end users.
- Teach & learn from your peers and help build our team into the backbone of a vibrant app ecosystem
What you should have
- 5+ years full stack experience. Familiarity with web and application (e.g. React, TypeScript, Python), and API development is a plus. Mobile experience on Android and iOS (React Native) is also a plus.
- Attention to detail and an eye for visuals. Design skills are not required but you will work with the designer to iterate on existing designs.
- Led execution for multiple projects from inception to launch.
- A growth mindset. You view mistakes as learning opportunities and build upon your successes. You challenge yourself and those around you to improve
- A focus on impact. You have a thoughtful eye for what changes can bring a product from good to great. You collaborate with product managers, designers, analysts, and other engineers to define great solutions to business problems
- A sense of ownership. You believe in solving a problem completely rather than simply shipping a solution. You can operate autonomously.
- Experience using and/or building apps for Discord
- A portfolio of high quality projects you've shipped
- Experience making tradeoffs between important goals to get the right things built quickly
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $190,000 to $204,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 14+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!