Senior Software Engineer, Core Product
The Core Product - Engagement team is building fun and exciting products for all of Discord’s users. Discord is peoples’ home online where they hang out with their friends and have fun together. We’re building new features that make that experience better. Compassion for our users is our guiding principle, and this same compassion shows in the flexible work/life balance and collaborative culture of our engineering teams.
Come and join us!
What you'll be doing
- Design and implement features. This could include anything from building out the models and data structures to the UI millions of users will see.
- Pair with the other engineers on your team to write, review, and ship elegant and scalable code.
- Partner with the other teams within engineering to build new primitives and use other teams’ as well.
- Mentor other engineers and help grow them into senior engineers.
- Work with product managers, designers, and product marketers to cut through ambiguity and find the way forward.
What you should have
- 5 + years of full-stack experience. Our tech stack is primarily React, TypeScript, Python, and you’ll be expected to have a high degree of expertise in those. You should be comfortable writing APIs and services that can scale.
- You have a sense for product and design. We don’t operate in silos, and you’ll be collaborating closely with cross-functional peers. You should be able to express opinions and collaborate to make something great.
- You understand the craft of software development and can level up those around you.
- You take a holistic approach to problem solving. You believe in solving a problem from first principles rather than simply shipping a solution. You learn from your mistakes and work through obstacles with the rest of the team.
- While there isn’t a hard requirement for experience, most people in this role have around 4-5 years of experience as a software engineer.
- Experience being a Technical Lead on a a team.
- Comfortability with mobile app development.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $190,000 to $204,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 14+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!