Data Engineer Intern
The Summer Internship
At Discord, we offer a personalized experience for interns, and our aim is to offer an experience that mimics what it is like to actually work here. We match qualified interns with projects and groups, based on interests and skill sets and fully embed interns within those groups for the summer. Internships are paid and run for (at minimum) 12 weeks, targeting a start date in June 2024 to accommodate varying school calendars. Conditions permitting, our 2024 summer internships will be remote, with an opportunity to spend a week in the office at some point during the program.
The Data Engineering team at Discord collaborates with data science and engineering teams to design, build, and scale high-leverage datasets that enable analytics, modeling, and experimentation. These critical datasets directly inform how we identify opportunities, measure success, and drive decision making.
What you'll be doing:
- Design, implement, and deploy new data pipelines and datasets to production
- Architect data models with massive and complex data; build data expertise to balance ergonomic benefits with system performance
- Collaborate with data science and engineering teams to understand product goals and data needs
- Develop audits for data quality at scale, implementing alerting and anomaly detection as necessary
- Support critical data processes running in production
You'll Succeed In This Role If...
- In the process of obtaining a Bachelors (rising Junior/Senior) Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or related technical field
- Highly proficient in SQL, Python, or similar programming language
- Knowledge of database systems and data modeling
- Knowledge of modern data storage and processing technologies (i.e. GCP BigQuery, Airflow, and DBT or similar)
- Strong communication skills to collaborate with individuals and teams
Salary of $69/hour (Master's) and $78/hour (PhD)*
Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law and CO Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20)
Benefits listed below may differ from those available depending on terms of employment*
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 14+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!