Staff Software Engineer - Data Platform
The central Data Platform seeks to build a self-service tooling platform to make the petabytes of data at Discord easily accessible for everyone at the company. We build full-stack applications, tooling, and frameworks to improve the productivity of teams at Discord, in particular our product, analytics, and machine learning teams. Our tooling covers the end-to-end lifecycle of data from acquisition to consumption. Reporting to the Engineering Manager of Data Products, you will work on strategy that is foundational to the company and product. To learn more about Discord Engineering, read our engineering blog here — including "How We Create Insights From Trillion Data Points" that this team is behind!
What you'll be doing
- Lead end-to-end development of data tooling and frameworks, using modern technologies such as BigQuery, Apache Beam, Airflow, Dagster, dbt, Kubernetes, and Rust.
- Ensure tight-knit collaboration with leadership, cross-functional stake-holders and senior engineers across the organizationCollaborate with leadership and senior engineers across the team to define the technical vision and build on the technical roadmap for Data Platform.
- Work with Data Platform to ensure we have a platform with strong governance that respects our users' privacy throughout.
- Care deeply about business outcomes and constraints and keep them in mind as you solve hard, unbounded problems.
- Work with other Staff Engineers to make decisions for the organization and engineering function as a whole.
- Coach and mentor the next generation of technical leaders at Discord.
What you should have
- 7+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- Empathy for both your internal and external users and seek feedback on your work.
- Ability to approach problems with first principles thinking, embrace ambiguity, and enjoy collaborative work on complex solutions.
- Experience defining architecture, tooling, and strategy for a large-scale data processing system.
- Proactive in staying up-to-date with industry trends and assessing new technologies to enhanse problem solving capabilities.
- Experience working with very high-scale data infrastructure and tooling
- Experience with data products on Google Cloud Platform, Kubernetes, or Airflow
- Full-stack development or product engineering experience
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $214,000 to $233,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
#buildbelonging #LI-Remote #LI-Hybrid #LI-HY1
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!