Lead/Senior Data Engineer
Horizon Blockchain Games
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2023
At Horizon, we make web3 easy, fun, and accessible for users and builders.
We have two amazing products to achieve our mission:
- Sequence, the all-in-one developer platform + smart wallet that makes building web3 games and applications easy.
- Skyweaver, a digital trading card game—powered by Sequence—where players can win, own, and trade their NFT/SFT game items.
Sequence is poised to accelerate web3 content creation and drive adoption on a massive scale. And, Skyweaver—named 2022’s best blockchain game—is a groundbreaking video game with an unprecedented player-owned economy, novel gameplay, and an already fervent community.
While the challenge is hard, we find it incredibly fun. And, we have the ingredients to make it happen: a well-capitalized company with some of the best investors in the world, including Brevan Howard Digital, Take-Two Interactive Software Inc., Coinbase, Ubisoft, Polygon, Morgan Creek Digital, Initialized, BITKRAFT, and more; an amazing team of leaders in the web3 space; engineers who have built widely popular open source; a former top McKinsey strategy consultant; gaming industry veterans; and founders who have built and sold successful companies.
You'll get to work with and learn from them all.
Learn more at https://horizon.io/
About the Role
As a Lead Data Engineer, you will be responsible for evolving, designing, and implementing our data systems.
The end goal is to flexibly pull data from a myriad of sources into a single source of truth, and make it accessible and useful to everyone on the team, efficiently.
You’ll work closely with our Head of Operations, alongside another senior data engineer, to evolve and streamline our current data system to accommodate an ever-growing array of game data, and long-term, blockchain data. We imagine the headcount to grow over time, and for you to be leading those data engineers as well.
Given our size, this is a hands-on role, and you will be expected to work alongside our engineers closely.
Our data system is important to everyone in the company, and this is a high impact role. You will have a lot of autonomy, but be supported by genuinely good people. And you’ll really get a chance to design a foundational component of our stack in web3, the next iteration of the internet.
- Ensure all teams are drawing data from a single source of truth
- Work with our current systems in GCP, Snowflake, and Fivetran, and help evolve them
- Ensure data integrity, so that data from many sources are transformed into a useful format, and is correct
- Automate as much of the data pipeline as possible
- Quickly debug data discrepanciesScale our data capacity by 10x for the next 2-3 years
- Implement tooling in Go and Typescript so all engineers can meter products with client libraries
- Design data backup and recovery protocols
- Ensure the data can be easily digestible, and usable, using a BI tool like Looker or Tableau within an acceptable period of time (realtime, daily, monthly, yearly)
- Help guide a small team of data engineers on roadmap, design, and implementation
What You Bring
- 2-4 years relevant industry experience
- Strong working knowledge of at least one data warehouse like Snowflake, Redshift, Clickhouse, etc.
- Ability to work cross-functionally well with other stakeholders and teams
- Strong programming skills, and not just a hacker
- Ability or high-willingness to quickly learn about blockchain technology, its data structures, schema, and ecosystem
- Excellent SQL skills
- Experience with distributed log systems like Kafka, Spark, etc. a plus
- Expertise working with large software systems in one of the major cloud providers: AWS, Google Cloud, Azure
- Strong understanding of building fault-tolerant, scalable systems
- Experience with at least one scripting language (Python, bash, Ruby, etc.)Big plus if you have experience working with Go, Typescript, or similar derivativesInterest in web3
* A chance to deliver massive impact at a small and quickly growing company
* Work on hard, big, meaningful problems that can shift markets
* Competitive salary and equity package
* Accelerate your career by joining at the early stages
* Be part of defining web3, the next generation of the Internet, and creating symbiotic economies where both users and creators share in the value generated by networks
* Work with an outstanding team made of wonderful people who have built and sold successful companies, launched amazing products, and have rich experience in infrastructure, architecture, blockchain, games, finance, investing, strategy, consulting, design, marketing, community, and more.
* Work-life balance unlike the “crunch” culture you find at larger studios
* New PC, and generous allowance for work-from-home setup
* Extensive health benefits for Canadian employees
* We’re conscious about mental health and have modern vacation policies
* We invest in everyone’s personal development
* Learn more about our values and the traits we embody at https://careers.horizon.io/
We are committed to diversity and encourage applicants from all backgrounds, genders and faiths.
While we're building incredible products, we also want to add to our wonderful team and company. The best way to do that is to attract talented folks from all areas and to have their experiences inform their work.
See more open positions at Horizon Blockchain Games
Something looks off?