Senior Gameplay Engineer (Unreal)
About Liminal Experiences
We believe that everyone has an imagination worth igniting. Liminal is a new UGC game for creating narrative action role-playing games with the vision of making the world a more creative place. By delivering a joyful creation experience, we aim to go beyond a niche audience of modders to usher in a new era of immersive storytelling. We are building for storytellers and adventurers with two intertwined game modes, a fun-to-create core loop paired with inherently social adventure gameplay.
Liminal is hiring experienced developers who want to partner with other passionate game makers to bring the joy of creation to players by defining a new paradigm for player creativity and are excited to do so in an enthusiastic, compassionate, high-empathy environment. We are a fully remote studio and work Pacific Time hours.
About The Role
As a Senior Gameplay Engineer at Liminal, you will partner in the exploration and implementation of the core player experience for both Creation and Adventure modes, with an emphasis on the efficient development and iteration of design prototypes. In addition, as an experienced Unreal developer, you will set standards for the implementation of features in Unreal and invest in the engine-specific growth of the other developers at Liminal.
At Liminal, we believe that good ideas can come from anywhere. You will join a team of other low-ego Senior Engineers eager to learn from your experiences and will partner across disciplines in an environment where designers and artists will be enthusiastic about you contributing creatively to every aspect of the product.
- Implement action-adventure gameplay
- Collaborate with game designers, user interface designers, and game system engineers
- Implement a high-quality user experience and take full accountability for delivering results
- Collaborate closely with design by proactively asking for details, providing feedback, and helping them understand technical tradeoffs
- Elevate best practices for Unreal development, acting as standard-setter and educator for engineers of all levels
- Design and build technical foundations through all stages of development.
- Create technical designs including documentation and work estimates and self-manage your own planning and execution of tasks
- Push boundaries and generate ideas—even if they are risky—that drive the greatest impact
- Contribute to an environment that fosters innovation, and helps others take smart risks, learn from failures, and own the outcomes.
- Ensure that results do not come at the expense of long-term growth, retention, or psychological safety at the company.
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends and emerging technologies to help improve game development processes.
- Model the Liminal values and support teammates in doing the same.
- Full Lifecycle Knowledge: 5+ years of experience in gameplay engineering, with at least one shipped or live title.
- Craft Expert: Extensive time in one or more areas specific to gameplay engineering such as combat, camera, controls, platforming, UI, etc.
- Prototyping: Experience with rapid prototyping and working on concept-phase game projects is a huge plus.
- Excellent Communication skills: Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate across disciplines with clarity and respect.
- Fundamentally Sound: Comfortable with 3D math to solve gameplay problems.
- Unreal Fluency: Worked with Unreal Engine 4 or 5, including Blueprints and C++ programming, with at least one shipped title in Unreal 4+.
- Player Mindset: Strong understanding of game design principles and player psychology.
- Multiplayer Aware: Understanding of the different models of game networking and data replication.
- Self Aware: Self-awareness and a willingness to connect with others with empathy
- Feedback Oriented: Proactively ask for feedback from others to develop awareness about strengths, and act on development areas
- Growth Oriented: Invests time in being a better engineer and leader
To apply, please send an email to email@example.com with the job title in the subject line and include your resume and your favorite memory of creating something