Lead Backend Engineer (Remote)
Posted on Monday, May 8, 2023
Imagine a virtual world where socializing and gaming collide to create a world of infinite possibilities. That's Pocket Worlds. We've been sitting at the intersection of social networking and gaming for some time now, and we're here to inject some play into the digital world.
Over the past 10 years, we've been building immersive virtual worlds that provide a sense of belonging to all who enter. We've got over 20 million Highrise citizens, and every day they come together to play, build, explore, and trade with each other.
As we continue to build and expand our platform, we remain focused on our mission of creating deep, rich virtual worlds where everyone belongs. As part of our mission, we've been actively developing the infrastructure to support user-generated content. This empowers our players to craft their own worlds and brings them one step closer to realizing their visions.
We believe that the future of virtual worlds is bright, and we're excited to be at the forefront of this industry. As we continue to grow and expand our platform, we're looking for talented individuals to join us on this journey of innovation and creativity. If you're passionate about building virtual worlds that bring people together and push the boundaries of what's possible, we want you on our team!
About the Role
We are currently seeking a Lead Backend Engineer who is not only skilled in coding, but also loves innovation, is approachable, and can work well with others. The ideal candidate should be comfortable with operating in a high energy, high passion, and fast-moving environment.
This role will lead our backend team and take ownership over our entire existing backend architecture, which is currently supporting 300k DAU and poised to grow significantly higher. This role will also be driving our current and future development as we add support for user-crafted experiences and expand our architecture to embrace UGC.
This role will own (do or delegate) all of our backend, including feature development and infrastructure. It has a lot of responsibilities, which come with a lot of power, to bring significant impact to real users. The ideal candidate is someone who values a good deal of control over their career and is truly excited to bring real joy to our players. The success of this role will be measured by the impact you deliver to our team, product, and world.
Our Current Backend Stack:
- Async typed Python (similar to typescript)
Our Planned Stack Upgrades:
- C# dedicated game servers to handle running custom Lua code for UGC
Here are the skills and qualities we're looking for in our ideal candidate:
- You have exceptional backend development experience and have experience with the core technologies in our current backend stack.
- You have extensive experience managing infrastructure at scale, with proven success at delivering stability and performance.
- You have at least 10 years of experience in backend development and infrastructure management.
- You have experience architecting, designing, and implementing a wide array of software products.
- You have experience with the Unity engine, either as a game developer or on the backend.
- You have experience supporting mission-critical applications at scale.
- You have built any side projects or games outside of work or made significant open-source contributions.
- You have experience programming in Lua.
- You are passionate about leading a team of developers to deliver solutions to solve product and business-level problems.
- You are a starter who loves to experiment and learn new things.
- You’re high energy and you feel comfortable leading and pushing your team to succeed.
- You absolutely love what you do. Your work is your passion and you value working with people who feel the same.
See more open positions at Pocket Worlds
Something looks off?